Be part of developing a birding & hiking trail along this beautiful stretch of the Rock River!
Our major project in the next few months is finishing our Rock River Birding & Hiking Trail along the Rock River in the bottomland. You can view the area on this map– it’s a really beautiful location that has never been accessible to the public before. Volunteers and staff have already started work on this and a 32′ boardwalk was just installed.
>We will be working during the winter months, as it is much easier to do the clearing then. We will continue any of the other work after the ground dries out in Late Spring/Early Summer.
There is a combination of garbage pickup, light clearing and heavy clearing that is needed:>
- Light clearing is cutting tree branches using hand nippers and piling up brush.
- Heavy clearing involves cutting logs with chainsaws and moving logs out of the trail path.
- Volunteers should have appropriate footwear for mucky conditions. This is a river bottom land that is still mucky in spots.
- You will be required to wear safety glasses and gloves. We have a supply of both, but feel free to bring your own.
- A restroom is not nearby, but the nature center would be open during work days.
- You can come when you are able, stay as long as you can.
- We need you to fill out a volunteer waiver. Please download, fill out and bring with you.